A couple of weekends ago (I believe it was the weekend after Easter), I finally got around to purchasing and planting my vegetables and herbs. I have NEVER done this before, so I hope to blog about my successes (ha!) but more importantly and, I'm sure, much more frequently, my mistakes. A lot of my decisions were based on my brother-in-law's garden, since they did it for the first time last year and had a lot of success.
First M made me a raised box out of, who knows what kind of wood. I left that up to him. He did the research and all the labor on that part. Then we had a friend of ours go with M to pick up all of the dirt and bring it back to the house. We were so thankful for the help because they were going to charge up $60 to deliver $20 worth of dirt. I get they have to make money on deliveries, but it this case, it wasn't worth it. (Oh, and don't mind the crazy black liner that is all messed up - the box was made before the terrible storms hit the south a couple weeks ago).
Once, the box and dirt were complete, I was given the 'go ahead' to purchase whatever I wanted to plant. I designed our box to have 3 different sections - 2 small on either end, and a large section in the middle. Herbs were planted in the far small section, vegetables were planted in the middle large section, and onions in the near small section (side note: I learned from someone this week, that onions are actually supposed to be planed in the fall and grow throughout the winter and spring.....they should still grow, but won't be very big. Mistake #1 of 1,000).




These were planted a little over a week ago, so we are at Week #2 now. I will try and post a picture each week to show their growing progress. And let me tell you, these suckers grow fast! It's so fun to check on them each day. I didn't think I would like it, but so far, so FUN (I know, I'm a dork)! The kids absolutely LOVE getting their rainboots on each morning (well, in Eli's case, he's wearing his snow boots since we don't have any rain boots that fit him....SO CUTE!) and helping me water the herbs & vegetables. It's a fun morning ritual!
I hope everyone is have a fantastic week in this this amazing weather!!
Oh, and HAPPY BELATED MOTHER'S DAY to my Momma (and all the other awesome moms that have mothered me or I've gotten to witness their mothering)!!
Circa 1984
I LOVE that you are gardening. It all looks so organized and fun!!
ReplyDeleteYes, I LOVE the organization! You'll have to come by this summer and pick some fresh veggies!
ReplyDelete